Every quarter, toy librarians from all over the country come together in their regions to share new ideas, news and network with others working in the field of toy libraries. The first quarterly seminar for 2019 took place on the 27th of March. A total of 75 toy librarians attended the regional seminars.
At each seminar, there were a number of activities for the toy librarians. Firstly, news and important dates were shared, e.g. World Play Day, Toy Librarians Day, and the International Toy Library Conference. The seminar leaders also demonstrated new toys and how to use these for the best benefit of the children.
A specific focus for this quarter’s seminar, was indigenous games and the sustainability of toy libraries. Different cultural and indigenous games were shared and played by the attendees, including: Mme ke lapile (similar to hop scotch),
Morababa , Diketo, and marble play.
- 47 people attended the seminar.
- The activities they enjoyed the most were: The animal actions, Marble maze, and the inflate glove experiment
- 20 people attended the seminar.
- The feedback was that all the attendees loved the triangle dance and the musical balloon game
- 8 people attended the seminar.
- The attendees loved the different science experiments demonstrated and practiced.